Tuesday 14 July 2009

Summers Here

So it must be time for warm beer seaside pre season friendlies and music festivals:) Hmm sounds almost like John Major's idyllic image of cycling maids and I don't mind a bit of cricket to!

So come Friday I am off to the Isle of Man the land of one side of my ancestry for the first time. Of course the trip is entirely cultural and it is a happy coincidence that my football team are playing there in a pre season match :) While I am there I shall be missing Tolpuddle sadly where I have spent a great weekend the last two summers in good company a beautiful setting and more than a touch of political debates. To those who are going again my thoughts are with you as I am sure there will be many happy memories of Malcolm Campbell our dear friend and comrade who particularly enjoyed the event. Raise a glass for me in his memory.

Then two weeks down the lines its off to Cambridge for the folk festival (and hopefully without the rain showers of last year!) The line up contains very few bands I have heard of but discovering new music if half the fun.

August see's AFC Wimbledon's latest coming of age as we kick off our first season in the Conference National with a home game against Luton. it seems mad to think that 20 years ago we kicked off our season as holders of two of the three major trophies in the country(Luton League Cup winners Wimbledon FA Cup winners) yet on the 8th of August we shall be battling for entry to the football League. Football truly is a funny old world but I love it :)

The week after I'm off to the beautiful village of Cropredy for the annual Fairport Convention reunion gig and am very much looking forward to seeing old friends. It shall however be a bitter sweet occasion as those I camp with shall also be missing Malcolm having camped with him for many a long year. One of his oldest Friends has had some t shirts made with Malcolm on to remember him.The last sing of the festival Meet on the Ledge (or a major riot if it isn't!) which remembers those we have lsot will be espcially poignant for Steve his family and many others who knew Malcolm and shared in his love of music

I love the summer in many ways not least there are always load's of short weeks at work and long weekends :)

No comments: